Sunday, February 11, 2018

I had a very exciting week this week...I have a new niece! And guess what her name is...Kennedy!!! I can't wait to tell the kids tomorrow. My sister-in-law's due date was on Super Bowl Sunday. (Considering the outcome of the game, perhaps it was a good thing she was a few days late!) I was on  high alert all week in anticipation of a text letting me know the baby was coming. That text finally came on Friday morning, and when I told the kids they all started clapping and cheering. Kennedy was officially born that afternoon and she is absolute perfection. Check out her picture below :)

Thinking about our poetry unit being over in just a few weeks is SO sad. I love this unit. This week, we focused on figurative language, rhythm, tone, and the poet's message. Monday was one of the most enjoyable lessons for me because it involved students analyzing the lyrics of well-known songs. I compiled lyrics with similes or metaphors from a bunch of songs. Some of the songs were "Firework" by Katy Perry, "Skyscraper" by Demi Lovato, "Thunder" by Imagine Dragons, and "Life is a Highway" by Tom Cochrane (covered by Rascal Flatts). It was so much fun playing the songs in the background and having the students recognize that figurative language really is everywhere!

Our Bucket Fillers this week were Brent and Nariya. Brent is an incredibly avid reader. His enthusiasm for reading has without a doubt strengthened his vocabulary and ability to understand and analyze complex texts. He rocks at being able to pull meaning from challenging poems. Nariya is a sweetheart. She's always smiling and positive, and you can't help but smile when you're around her. Nice job Nariya!











No comments:

Post a Comment